Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Observations

No exciting stories today.





I do want to thank everyone who contributed to the painting of Christ (shown below) that we were given for our wedding! We were able to finally get it framed (thanks to Mom) and put up on our wall (thanks to Joe) and it is GORGEOUS. So thank you thank you thank you.

I mostly just wanted to write down a few of things I have been learning and a some observations.

So I am taking a technical writing class (English 316) and I am learning a lot, but mostly, realizing that this is something that I really enjoy doing and am fairly competent at. Can I make that observation? Ok well I just love that it is all about writing CLEARLY. As an English major with a poetry emphasis, writing flowery, creative, and profound language is all I've ever learned or focused on. I love doing that and it is great, but it's also nice to learn this skill, and I mean SKILL. It is hard sometimes to just be really economical and straightforward. You put clarity above everything else, even at the sacrifice of repetition, sentence flow, awkward phrasing, etc. I also think I like this field because I get to investigate, read, absorb, learn, comprehend, analyze, interpret, translate, write, communicate, edit, and then design; all of which I like to do. Plus, it includes just the right amount of business and technology with the writing. I guess I am just trying to say that I like the environment. Note to self: maybe you should pursue this career...

I am also taking this great Shakespeare class: pure, liquid, awesome. Basically, we come to class having done the reading, and then sit in a circle and just discuss Shakespeare all day. Brilliant.

Another observation: now that some 70% of my classmate peers are married or at least getting more serious about life because graduation is near, they are a lot more reliable, efficient, hard-working, responsible, confident, etc. This makes collaborative and group projects so much more enjoyable to work on, and also makes class discussion so much more relevant and interesting.

I've decided that young married student wards are AMAZING. Everyone is like, in the same boat and going through similar life experiences. I feel so unified with my ward and especially my relief socity because of this. It's like, one person has a baby so everyone helps out and brings meals, etc. one month, and then the next month, you* have a baby and everyone brings you meals and stuff. No one is afraid to ask for help because we are all taking turns helping and many are going through life-time firsts together. Pretty cool.

*Author's note: "you" is not referring to me here; this was a rhetorical situation; I am not with child.

Observation #3 (if anyone is keeping track): Husbands are rad. Pretty much Joe is so good at helping me through stuff when I am an emotional wreck. I thought it would take longer to be able to identify each other's needs, and I know we are still learning, but he has been so good to me when I am having one of my (amazingly many...) bad days.

Our newest exciting endeaver is trying to buy a car. Our Saab was declared a total loss after the accident so we inherited Joe's old car that was being used by his brother-in-law, but they didn't really need it anymore. So this new (to us) car would be for me! We are looking at Toyota Corollas because I want something really reliable. We are looking at a 2005 with 80,000 miles on it. Any input/opinions? I am really excited: I haven't really had a car to drive since I used the K-car for about 6 months in high school... oh the memories.

Sorry if this was broing. But I am just thankful that work (I finally got a raise!) and school are going really well and for this temporary calm in the craze of life after the past month. I am definitely grateful that January and February are over: 2010 can only go up from here! Thank you for all your love and support,

Emily

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Emily. I enjoyed reading this post so much. I've learned more about what's in your brain, which is nice since we don't get to see each other often enough.

    It makes my heart happy to hear that based on your life with Joe, you think husbands are rad. Good job, brother.

    2010 is going to ROCK from here on out.

    Lots of love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily! I love you! Thank you for that darling post. It is so nice to hear how things are going for you and Joe. I miss you. Thanks for posting on my blog. I feel so special and honored. I didn't even know that you read it. :)
    I want to talk to you again soon, so anticipate my phone call if you dare. Have a wonderful day. I love you Hazelnut baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You just changed your background while I was commenting! It's way cute. I love the pics. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for March! And thank you very much for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, not too busy, very cool and impressive and you! And you know I think you have amazing style. I am glad life is good! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks Elaine! I think YOU have amazing style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling! Your blog is adorable! And you are even more adorable! It is so fun to read about your optimism in everything that you are learning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon Head! I really like the blog. I feel like I don't even need to say that because all posts above have said that. But I am so glad you are nerding out in school! Can I mention I am glad you and I can both pursue non scientific fields in this family. yea for english! Love you babe! Sorry I haven't called you back. I'll get on that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.s. I just thought you should know that I just made up a fabulous new song for Kristi. It goes like this:

    Move up little Bronco Baby!
    Move up little Bronco Face!

    Cheer up little Bronco Baby!
    Cheer Up little Bronco face!
    (repeated for approximately 5-7 minutes or until Kristi bans it)

    ReplyDelete